Medicine Overview of Pneumovax 23 Injection
Pneumovax 23 Injection is used for prevention of pneumonia, meningitis, blood infection & ear infection.
Allergic reaction, Fever, Injection site redness, Rash, Soreness.
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self administer.
Pneumovax 23 Injection is a vaccine which helps develop immunity by initiating a mild infection. This type of infection does not cause illness but stimulates the body’s immune system to produce antibodies (proteins) to protect against any future infections.
In Depth Information on Pneumovax 23 Injection
- Tell your doctor if you have human immunodeficiency virus infection or acquired immune deficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS), sickle cell disease, kidney disease, history of organ or bone marrow transplant or are receiving chemotherapy.
- Tell your doctor if you are receiving chemotherapy.
- Ensure to inform your doctor if you have received a pneumococcal vaccine within the past 3 to 5 years as a second dose can be given 5 years after the first dose.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine or any of its ingredients.
- Do not give to Children <2 years.
Pneumovax 23 Injection related warnings
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Pneumovax 23 Injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Pneumovax 23 Injection should be used with caution during lactation. Breast feeding should be held until the treatment of the mother is completed and the drug is eliminated from her body.
Pneumovax 23 Injection does not usually affect your ability to drive.
There is limited information available on the use of Pneumovax 23 Injection in patients with kidney disease. Please consult your doctor.
There is limited information available on the use of Pneumovax 23 Injection in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor.